of Gates, Aurore et Crépuscule
42 x 72” in
106.68 x 182.88 cm
Marks: impressed on each side of gate, upper corner near hinge, E. Brandt
Gift of Sydney and Frances Lewis
During the 1920s, ironwork was used by artists such as Edgar Brandt in a highly decorative manner. Brandt’s work was included in the International Exhibition of Modern and Industrial Decorative Arts held in Paris in 1925, by which time his reputation had reached its greatest height. He designed lamps, gates, architectural ironwork, andirons, radiator grilles, and other objects for a number of buildings at the Paris exhibition, as well as for his own showroom. This pair of gates was made for an interior entrance hall of a building on the Rue Geynemer in Paris. Although the material is wrought iron of considerable weight, the intertwined tendrils make the gates seem light and airy. They were initially exhibited at the 16th Salon of the Society of Artists-Decorators in Paris in 1926.