Serving VMFA Together Since 1955
The Council of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is a group of dedicated VMFA members who give their time and talent in support of the museum. This diverse organization of men and women volunteer throughout the museum and work on behalf of VMFA to enhance community outreach and participation. The Council provides a variety of opportunities that range from volunteer management and event planning to working in the VMFA Shop, leading tours as docents, and helping in the garden. Council members learn about the collection, make new friends, and share their love for the arts, all while helping to support and improve a cultural institution that enriches the lives of the citizens of Virginia.
The Council of VMFA has been an important resource for the museum since its early years. The Council led the way in opening the VMFA Shop, establishing the docent program, and organizing museum travel, as well as providing seed money for the library. The Council continues to provide volunteer assistance in many areas of the museum’s operations. Council members also develop and implement fundraising events, including the highly successful Fine Arts & Flowers, an exhibition whose proceeds benefit the museum.
You can find out more about The Council as well as the collections and upcoming exhibitions at VMFA with “It's Your Art!”, a PowerPoint program presented to community groups at their locations by Council members.
You don’t have to be an art expert to volunteer at the museum. The Council volunteers support VMFA with their time, talents and love of art. Council members must be a member of the museum and are also expected to contribute their time on a regular basis.
• VMFA Shop
• Visitor Services
• Tour Services – School Group Tour Greeter
• Tour Services – Docent Program (requires separate application
and intensive training)
• VMFA Library
• Education, Youth and Family Programs – Youth and Family Program Assistant
• VMFA Marketing – Speakers Bureau
• Sculpture Garden
• Conservation and Registration – Gallery Assistants or “Clean Team”
• VMFA Membership Assistant
• Council Membership Enrichment
Benefits of Council Membership
The following events, opportunities, and publications are offered exclusively to Council members:
• three lecture-luncheons, each comprising docent-led tours, a brief
Council meeting, a lecture by a distinguished guest speaker on an
art-related topic, and an optional luncheon
• invitations to special themed tours of the VMFA facilities, grounds, and collections
• tours of artistic sites in the Richmond area
• travel opportunities
• art-related special events such as teas and author events
• volunteer-opportunity fairs
• the Councillor, a full-color informative newsletter published three times a year
• the Council e-news
• the opportunity to enjoy events with new friends who also have a passion for art
Come join us, share your time and talents to support VMFA. Download The Council membership application.PDF